“Google Shopping requires merchants to provide users with complete and correct tax information.”
What It Means:
1. Certain countries (United States, Canada, India, Japan) have restrictions on how tax needs to be submitted:
- United States: “The prices of the items submitted in the data feed must not include any value added tax. Instead, the tax information should be submitted either at the account level or under the ‘tax’ attribute.”
- Canada: “The prices of the items submitted in the data feed must not include any applicable taxes such as value added tax.”
- India: “The prices of the items submitted in the data feed must not include any applicable taxes such as value added tax.”
- Japan: “The prices of the items submitted in the data feed must be inclusive of any value added tax. Merchants can either display prices on the landing pages with any value added tax included, or display the net price and any value added tax separately so that users can easily calculate the gross price.”
2. Any other countries must submit data feeds where item price and any applicable tax (such as value added tax) is inclusive (added together for a price with tax included). Note: value-added tax (VAT) is a form of “consumption” tax that is placed on an item when additional value is added at a stage of production or distribution. VAT is seen most often in the European Union (EU).
3. For all countries: the price submitted in the data feed file must match the price on the item’s landing page on your website.
Depending on the country you target, your requirements may differ. Including the correct tax information will prevent item disapproval and/or data feed suspension.
What PrestoSell Does For You:
Taxes can be tricky. But because our webmaster team monitors your data feed through our Google Merchant Center account, if your feed is disapproved because of a tax issue, we’ll work with you and Google to resolve the problem quickly. So you can get your item listings back in Google Shopping as soon as possible and get back to selling.
Did you find this article helpful? See what else PrestoSell can do for you.